Considering the length of the Oklahoma Boys State Program and the distance from home for most Delegates, everyone in attendance should apply significant consideration into packing for the week-long camp. The Boys State Administration has assembled this checklist of essential items to bring to Boys State. We strongly suggest you utilize this document, as your parents will not appreciate driving to NEO mid-week to bring something you forgot.
Many retail outlets are open on Saturday in Miami should you need to pick up anything before you check in to camp. Please have all items/supplies with you when you arrive. Delegates will be very busy after arrival and may not have time to meet with parents to pick up additional items after check in.
Although dress clothes are not required at anytime, Boys Staters are expected to present a neat, uniform appearance. With the exception of recreation time, delegates will wear their Boys State T-shirt (2 are issued at no charge), pants (jeans or slacks), closed toe shoes (no sandals), and may choose to wear an official Boys State baseball cap, which can be purchased in the store or the Sons of the American Legion cap.
We encourage JROTC, Sea Cadet, and/or Civil Air Patrol Cadets to bring their service dress uniforms to Boys State. There will be opportunities during the week to wear them which will enhance your Boys State experience and that of your fellow delegates, bring focus to your organizations, and more thoroughly honor our Veterans and our Nation. We hope you will proudly be part of these special occasions in uniform.
During recreation time or while on the dorm floor, delegates may wear any hat, shirt, shorts or pants they choose. In addition, due to the amount of walking at Boys State, delegates should wear socks with shoes to help prevent blisters from developing.
- Jeans (at least 2 pairs)
- Shirts for leisure time
- Underwear (at least 4 pairs)
- Socks (at least 4 pairs)
- Walking shoes
- Athletic wear (shoes, shorts, shirts)
- Swimwear (required)
- Light, waterproof jacket
- Sunglasses (only during recreation time)
- SUNSCREEN (required)
- Shaving Items
- Bath Towels
- Deodorant (definitely required)
- Eye care products (contact solution, glasses)
- Doctor-prescribed medications
- Aspirin, allergy-relief medications, etc.
- Shower shoes recommended
- Cash for souvenirs (keep it in the bank)
- Quarters for vending machines (cash doesn’t always work)
- Water bottle/Snacks
- Baseball glove (if you want to play softball)
- Inexpensive outdoor toys (frisbee, baseball, football, etc.) – optional
- Band instrument (large instruments are provided) as well as guitars, fiddles, banjos, and other props for talent night
- Any items needed for the talent show
- Bedding (twin-size sheets, blanket, pillow, sleeping bag, etc.) The dorms are very well-air conditioned and can get cold!
- Legislation – optional
- Poster board, markers, etc. – optional
- Cameras (for those delegates wishing to participate in photography, arrangements will be made to secure your camera)
- Samsung Scholarship Application – Applications must be printed and completed to be turned in at Boys State, printing services will not be available at Boys State
DO NOT BRING
- Firearms, fireworks, drugs (including tobacco), alcohol. None of these are permitted at Boys State and will result in immediate dismissal of the delegate.
- Any item of great value. Although Boys State delegates are the finest young men in the state, prudence nevertheless dictates that one take care of his personal belongings and cash.
- Pre-printed campaign material.